Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 8th, 2024 16:27

MD3220 Replacing Failed Controller With Used Part

Hi... I have an MD3220 with two controllers running in duplex mode with an MD1220 daisy chained to the MD3220.  Controller 0 in the MD3220 failed and I was able to source a used replacement controller that I need to install.  My understanding is that I should first set my MD3220 to simplex mode, perform a firmware upgrade to make sure I'm on the latest version and then install the replacement part.  Once I set the system back to duplex mode it should replicate the cache information from controller 1 onto the new controller 0.  Once it is ready I should be able to bring it online.  

Assuming I haven't missed anything I've run into a problem... I'm trying to connect to controller 1 via telnet to run the smcli commands to set simplex mode but I can't find the correct username and password needed for the console connection.  It isn't the same array password that I have set through the MD Storage Manager software.  Our system is quite old at this point and hasn't been under support for some time so I am praying that someone here will be able to help me with the correct login credentials and maybe a little guidance on this replacement process.  I've deployed and managed many of these systems over the years but never once have I had a controller fail so this is a new one for me.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

• 

3.3K Posts

May 8th, 2024 20:52

Hello,

If the password is unknown you could try Reset password Page 35

https://dell.to/3yelV0f

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 8th, 2024 21:03

@DELL-Charles R​ The password I'm referring to is the shell user password required to get to the "advanced" CLI for lack of a better term.  The management password that is applied to the storage array through MD Storage Manager isn't an issue... I have that one.  I'm trying to get to the advanced CLI where I can run the commands to switch the array into simplex mode, clear the errors that currently exist due to the missing controller that failed, and then switch back into duplex mode once the replacement controller has been installed and the firmware & config data replicated over from the existing controller.

I've been doing some reading since posting this and I think maybe I can run the required commands from the Enterprise Management console > Execute Script... function which launches the Script Editor.  At least I hope I'll be able to... As I mentioned earlier this is my first time dealing with a failed controller let alone replacing it with a used part and I have no support from Dell due to financial constraints... aside from reading and posting here I'm pretty much on my own trying to resolve this...

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 9th, 2024 00:37

Another question... can the SD card be replaced with another 8GB card?  Will the controller auto-format the new card or is there some process for this?  I'm not finding any details online about this...

• 

2.2K Posts

May 9th, 2024 06:51

Hello,

I have to say Dell doesn't typically provide instructions on replacing the SD card in storage arrays. You might be able to find some information in online forums but in general it is recommended to replace the entire controller due to the potential risk of data loss. You're right without the proper formatting, the controller may not be able to recognize the card.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 9th, 2024 14:59

@DELL-Erman O​ Given the age of the equipment I can't believe Dell would force a customer to buy an entire controller just to replace an 8GB SD card... that seems incredibly wrong no matter how you look at it...

I guess I'd better take some images now just in case I run into more hardware problems in the future...

No Events found!