Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 8th, 2024 13:39

5 keys are not working

Some of the keys on my computer (Dell Inspiron) are not working and I am not sure what else to try? Specifically, keys five, six, hyphen, plus, delete, and ctrl are not working. If I hold them down for a few minutes (at least 2) then I will sometimes get a single one to pop up. I have updated the computer, restarted, updated drivers, and looked on this site and I am not sure what else to do? I really need those keys to work and cannot carry around a second keyboard, so I am wondering if I should just send the computer back at this point and get a different one? Does anyone have ideas about what else I can try. I also turned it off and back on and tried to press the F12 when Dell poped up, but nothing happened.

This post was created from this comment on different post

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

May 8th, 2024 13:57

If the system is less than 30 days from shipment, you do have the option of a return for replacement. 

If the system is older than 30 days but in warranty, call Dell for warranty service.

If the system is out of warranty, first check the condition of the battery to see if it's swollen.  If it is, that can be the cause of the issue and the battery should be removed and disposed of immediately.

If the battery is OK, but the system is out of warranty, replace the keyboard (or palmrest assembly on newer systems).  If you need a part reference, post the full system model number (i.e., Inspiron 7501, 5593, etc.).

No Events found!