Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 8th, 2024 02:35

m15 R7, issues

The laptop I got is a Dell Alienware M15 R7. It has a 12th-generation i9 (12900H), an NVIDIA 3080, 32 gigs of RAM, and 1 TB of storage.

The Laptop was bought on April 20th and it came on May 10th. <Warranty = May 2, 2023 to May 3, 2024. DELL-Admin>

The laptop ran without any issues from May 10th till early September.

The first issue came up in early September which was during class. I was in class running a class project when the laptop suddenly freaked out and would turn on for a handful of minutes and then immediately turn off.

I filled out a service form a couple of days later as the issue seemed to go away for a couple of hours, but then came back quickly, and then got a box shipped to me on September 5th.

We found that this issue was a motherboard issue after the computer came home from repair. The repair was completed on September 11th and then it came home a couple of days later.

The second issue came up on October 2nd and it showed a hard drive issue. 

I called the Dell people then and tried to fix it at home, but it didn’t work, so the Dell person made sure that I had an onsite Dell repair. 

The Dell Technician came to the house on October 4th to fix the hard drive issue, but he had realized and determined that the issue wasn’t the hard drive but the motherboard again. We had called again a handful of times between the 4th and the 6th to complain because I had the same issue come up again and the fact that it would warrant another repair.

Following that interaction, the technician was scheduled to come to the house on October 10th and we were guaranteed that if another issue came up the warranty would be extended. The technician ended up coming to the house on October 9th and replaced the motherboard which fixed the issue. Following October 9th, the laptop was running fine for the next couple of months up until May 5th. 

I know the warranty expired on the May 3 but the laptop stopped working the night of the 5th. 

I tried to troubleshoot it the night of the 5th and during the day which was the 6th.                                                                      

During the troubleshooting time period, I also made a service request in the morning of the 6th and called the out-of-warranty person the same night.

I called again on the 7th at 6:39 pm and was on the phone for 39 minutes which I bounced from one out-of-warranty person to a technical service person and then another out-of-warranty person. The third out-of-warranty person then promised to make it so that the supervisor would call back in 5-10 minutes. The supervisor called back at 7:29 and then my dad and I were on the phone with the supervisor for 23 minutes.

Overall, I am extremely frustrated with the entire situation and wish that I can get either a full refund <That will not allowed. DELL-Admin> or a replacement laptop because the laptop is costly and I have had a multitude of issues with the current laptop.

5 Practitioner

• 

5K Posts

May 8th, 2024 07:01

It's a wishful thinking that Dell would break their policy and give you a full refund after using the device over a year and the service contract had expired.  But, it wasn't hurt to ask.  After all, a 12th generation i-9, high-end premium class laptop should not be out of commission at this early.  It's a valid reason to request some consideration for repair assistance.

In case thing fell through and no warranty repair is granted, you may consider the option of posting the laptop issue in details and maybe our Community members can provide suggestions, resolution to walk you through troubleshooting and steps to resolving problem. 

If the issue is so serious which requires extensive hardware replacement, you might consider a repair shop that specialized in Dell laptop  https://www.parts-people.com/service.htm.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 8th, 2024 23:50

@Chino de Oro​ I completely understand what you are saying. From my perspective, it is just quite frustrating that I spent a ton of money on a laptop that I expected to last me a bare minimum of 3-4 years with minimal issues (battery degradation over time and general wear and tear issues) yet I ran into a few major issues within the first year of ownership. I know that Dell won't likely give any refund, but the fact remains that the laptop I got still had these kinds of issues during the warranty. Furthermore, it worries me what other issues could crop up if I keep the laptop and how much money I would have to spend if I decide to not extend the warranty.

No Events found!